Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bread, and friends

I just finished up a carb-tastic lunch...tortellini noodles with caesar dressing, and warm, buttered French bread. Tasty. I've long ago come to terms with the fact that I will never, ever, lose weight by cutting out carbs. I love them way too much. My favorite thing to eat is bread. I harbor no delusions about why I have a belly. Lately, it's been tomato/onion/basil/bread salad. So good, and it will be even better with my own home-grown tomatoes. They taste so much better than store-bought, and I won't even have to worry about salmonella. Bonus!

Speaking on home-grown, my garden is doing pretty well. I need to get the chicken wire set up for the peas to climb, they are getting quite tall. Hopefully this weekend I can do that. My bush beans are growing nicely, and the corn looks great. I finally planted the zucchini and cukes, and replaced a tomato and 2 pepper plants that didn't make it. The weeds are getting a little crazy right now, but it's been so rainy the garden is a big mud hole. I'm afraid to even step in there right now. I made the mistake of setting my aloe plant outside in the hopes it would do better (I swear I'm the only person in the world who can kill aloe), but now it's looking rather water-logged.

I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker this morning about friendships. Specifically, my relationship with my ex-best friend. I ran into her this past weekend, and it was so weird. We met when she was dating my cousin, and hit it off. We were roommates for a year in college, she was my maid of honor, I was hers. We would lose touch for a while, and then reconnect, just like we'd never been apart. When each of her three kids were born, I took a gift over to her house, and hung out with her, offering any help I could. She did the same when M was born. Then, L was born early. I didn't hear from her at all. Six! months! later, I ran into her, and she's all, "oh, yeah, I have a baby gift for you." No questions about how he's doing, nothing. Never did get that gift she had, not that this is about gifts in any way, shape or form. So, I pretty much wrote her off, since she couldn't be there for me in one of the hardest times of my life. Running into her this past weekend really brought all that back to the surface. It's so sad that our once strong friendship has turned into this. We live only 10 minutes apart, and both have kids around the same ages. We should be spending tons of time together, our kids playing. I'm not sure what to do about it, if anything. I was always the one to make the effort, so maybe she's waiting for me. I do miss her, but I'm also really hurt. I hate losing such a good friend. I guess if I want to continue a relationship with her, I need to make the first move. Good friends are hard to come by, I need to figure out if this one's worth it.

No comments: