Friday, May 16, 2008

May Flowers

We spent last night outside, gardening. I am always surprised when I say that, I once swore I would never pull another weed again when I was moving out of my parent's house. My mom is a fabulous gardener, she has two large gardens (about 1/2 acre each) and many small beds. I pulled a lot of weeds, picked a lot of vegetables, watered a lot of flowers as a child. It must be more fun to do it when it's your own. Anyway, last night mom and my sister came up to my house and we planted/weeded/mulched. It was great, and my beds are looking good. Except for a raised bed that was completely taken over by something even my mom didn't recognize. We planted tomatoes, cherry and roma, asters, dahlias, lupine, petunias, and we put together some pots. We mulched one of my flower beds with cocoa beans, and consider this my declaration of love for that stuff. It's so pretty, I'm getting 5 more bags to do the other raised bed. Once the weeds are down, of course. Then, I'm going to plant some lettuce and basil in there, and maybe some perennials. My mom's gardens are so well-established that I can just head down to the farm and she'll hook me up with plants. It works out very well in my favor. I even have a peony that was once my great-grandmother's. I think that is just so cool, that plants can even be passed down, generation to generation. I just hope I can keep it all going. Luckily E enjoys the gardening too, so he really helps me with the watering, weeding and harvesting. He takes great pride in his sweet corn. This year the veggie garden will have sweet corn, 2 rows we planted Tuesday, we'll plant two more in two weeks, peas, bush beans, cukes, zucchini, tomatoes. We also have a little asparagus patch (another heirloom from my great-grandparents, we were able to transplant some to my house). I know this may not interest anyone...mostly I'm writing it all down so I can remember!

2 comments:

NedaAnn said...

I'm jealous you have the room for all that. We had a large garden when I was growing up also. My sister has the green thumb, but Trinity loves gardening so much we built a small flower garden for her. We started planting it yesterday. This year we have an Asiatic lily, a Clematis (?) and a gerbera daisy. Trinity wants a rose bush and 2 more gerbera daisy plants to finish.

Brooke said...

I love that Trinity knows what she wants to plant! M does pretty well, although she gets sick of "helping" pretty quickly. She's a great waterer, though. My mom gave me some asters, she said they are great for cutting. I'm excited for those...hopefully I don't kill them! :)