Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Driving Home

Sunday we were driving home, from picking up the littles from my parent's house. My husband had an archery dinner for his league, and we had a night out on Saturday. It had snowed, just enough to cover every tree, and the yard. Just for the record, it's about 50 and sunny today. Anyway, on that drive, I realized how far out in the boonies I really do live. The road is curvy, with no shoulder to speak of. Here and there it's patched with gravel. Right before our house, you climb a hill, where on one side of the road is a rocky hill, and on the other, a dry creek bed. The trees hang over the road, creating a canopy. It was pretty all covered in snow, and it'll be pretty when the trees finally bloom.

I'm pretty lucky, all in all. I have to drive 20 miles to work, but it really is a nice 20 miles. It only takes me 20 minutes, instead of 50, if I lived in the big city. I'm glad my kids are getting the opportunity to grow up around cows and the country. My heart filled when my baby held my dad's hand, walking in the barn among all the animals. I was in Chicago recently for a girl's weekend, and I just can't imagine living in the city. Part of me could see the appeal, it's pretty intoxicating, and beautiful in it's own right. But the traffic, the crazy cab drivers, the concrete. I just don't think I could do it!

Enough about my city aversion. I've got to get some work done, and then it's home...

No comments: