Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Routines are key...

I'm finding that out in a big way. It seems like everyone benefits with a normal, day-to-day routine. Last night went relatively smoothly. I made the hamburger for supper, (actually the husband made it) and the evening actually was pretty low-stress.

We'd been having a hard time getting the girl to go to bed without huge drama. The past few nights, I've unconsciously instituted a bedtime (8:30). I've also been warning her in advance of the looming bedtime, usually a half-hour before, then 15 minutes, then 5 minutes. It seems to help, rather than just springing it on her. She still whines about it, I think she thinks that we are staying up to party without her. I make sure that I've been turning down the lights, and keeping it quiet. Hopefully in a week or so this will all be old hat. I'm actually considering an even earlier bedtime, but I'm not sure she'll go for it. I'll ask my 3 readers...What time are your kids going to bed? Is 8:30 too late? She's still getting up in the middle of the night to crawl in with us, but that doesn't bother me that much. We have a king bed, so we do all fit. The boy usually ends up in there as well. I'm just too big of a wuss to get up numerous times a night putting a kid back to sleep. I figure if he's sleeping through the night with me, why mess with it? I do start him out in his own bed...still a pack-n-play in our room. I'm thinking about trying him out in his crib. I'm thinking maybe he'll sleep better if he's in a quiet room alone. We'll see. I value my own sleep so much...if I find I'm waking up a lot at night, I'm sure we'll be back to the family bed. Wow, I've realized I can really go on and on about sleep. My, how times have changed!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh boy, don't get me started on sleep :)
My kids have a bedtime of 9:00, but they aren't always in bed by then. I, too, am looking to changing that to an earlier time :) It's hard to get them up in the morning!
I don't understand why people take vacations away from their kids either. I can't wait to bring my kids everywhere (it's basically just waiting for some money to save itself up to take a cool trip LOL!).

Anonymous said...

We put all the kids to bed at 7:00. The older ones are allowed to stay up reading (or doing quiet things like crossword puzzles) until 8:30 on school nights, 9:00 on non-school nights. The younger ones go to sleep at 7:00--or, in the case of my girl, stay up screaming for an hour and then go to sleep.