Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our weekend...

I meant to post yesterday, but didn't get a chance. We had a nice weekend, it was E's turkey season, so he went out to the woods, and came home with a big tom on Saturday. It was a really great turkey, 24 pounds. We cut out the breasts, I'm looking forward to grilling them.
The kids and I went to a bridal shower for my cousin while E was hunting. We did some shopping before the shower with my mom, that was fun. I found a new shower curtain and rugs for the bathroom, I needed a change in there. Now I want to paint though, so maybe soon it'll end up being a big change! It's so bizarre that these are the things I get excited about now. Gone are that days of worrying where the next party is, and what I'm going to wear. I don't miss those days, this is much more satisfying!
On Sunday we went down to the farm, and went for a walk in the woods, looking for morels. The kids had a blast tromping through the woods. I didn't realize that we were going to go hiking though, and Luke was wearing his crocs. He was pissed more than once when he walked right out of his shoe. There were only a few times where we had to carry him, he did great! Next time I'll know to at least throw his tennis shoes in the car when we're headed to the farm. E was pretty excited to hear about our adventure, I swear that he's happiest when he's in the woods. I have a feeling that our kids will be spending a ton of time out there with him. We are really lucky to live where we do, and it's so nice that we have access to the farm, and all the land. Already this year my kids have seen the birth of a calf, and we're planning on bringing a couple of barn kittens home with us once they are big enough.

We also ended up with haircuts too! My mom used to own a hair salon, and still keeps up her license so she can cut all of our hair. It's so nice to have her cut the kids' hair, they always sit so well for her. Luke just got his normal buzz cut, but Maggie went a little shorter. It's so cute on her, and so much easier to brush in the morning! She said at first she didn't like it, but now she does. I think that mostly it's because everyone who sees it tells her how cute it is. Like most 6 year olds, she's a sucker for a compliment!



It ended up being a really nice day, and when we got home, we found these:

E had been out in the woods too, and brought home a giant bag of morels. They were delicious, just dusted with flour, and sauteed in butter. We even had enough for last night's supper too. All in all, it was one of the best weekends in a long time. Hopefully its a sign of things to come, I'm looking forward to a great summer!

No comments: